A customer brought me this sunbonnet Sam quilt to quilt for her. The fabrics she used for Sam’s clothing are too cute.
I made this wall hanging for a swap. The theme was flowers. I pondered what to do. I knew I wanted to do something different. This is what I came up with. I appliquéd the vase on using steam light and then satin stitched the edge. I wanted a plain color for the vase. Now I wish I would of done some fancy stitching on the vase. It seems so blah. I stitched the flowers on and then glued buttons or beads for the center of the flowers. The binding was the inspiration for the project. I had a small amount of this flower fabric. It is modern with big flowers. I pulled the colors of the flowers from the print. The finished wall hanging measures about 24 inches squares. I free motion quilted in the background space with a leaf pattern.
I posted recently about a WIP. It is now finished. It took me a day to really think about where I wanted to go. My original vision just wasn’t panning out. Usually I don’t have this problem. A BIG Thank you to those of you who posted helpful ideas. I went kind of quilting crazy on it though. It is for a swap partner who lives in Oklahoma. I hope she loves it.
My first project of the year was making myself a scarf. I bought some black fleece to make one. I cut it 9 inches wide and left it the length it was already. I think 60 inches. I cut the ends to make four inches of fringe. It is so soft and warm. I showed my dad and he asked, “where his was”? I took the other 9 inches and made him one. He wanted checkered flags on his. After much consideration I bit the bullet and tried my hand at free motion stitching on the scarf. It isn’t perfect by any means. However it turned out pretty good. He is happy with it. I wish I had some money lying around for an embroidering machine. That would be nice. Then I would need a shop out back to set up all my machines. I am out growing my laundry room fast. Anyone want to donate? LOL. Just kidding.
Last week I mailed this crib sized memory quilt off to a customer in California. She sent me some squares of her son’s baby clothes. I free motion quilted the quilt with a medium meander stitch. I love it. It made me want to make some for my kids. Right now I am working on two twin sized t-shirt quilts for customers. I will be having some late nights. I am a very busy girl.
Here is my mini quilt for the Summertime Mini Quilt Swap. My friend Laura showed me a pattern on how to do a stained glass quilt. So I made up my own design. It turned out ok. So imagine you are looking out a stained glass window. This is what you see. LOL.
This is with a flash. The blue batik is a little darker.
No flash here. Here are some close ups of the free motion quilting.And please remember I am new to free motion so be kind.
I tried to make it look like abstract waves. I used black and blue thread.
Don’t forget to leave me a comment for the 400th give away HERE.
Yesterday I took this baby off of the wall in my sewing room and finished it. I didn’t take long to quilt it. It was so much fun too. I think I am growing to love the finishing process as much as making the top. This is the first quilt I have free motion quilted. I have done one table runner which is now on Josh’s dresser. I am so excited. It feels great to have gotten it done. There are a couple puckers on the back. I crossed over a few lines here and there. I am not trying to be perfect. I like the messiness of it. Very cute. I am donating it to the Mountain Baby Blankets project.
I was able to finish 2 UFO’s this past week. The first is the double Irish chain quilt that I have been working on for my mommy. It is the first big quilt that I have free motion quilted. It turned out ok. There are a few imperfections. I am a beginner at this after all. My hubby said it looks great. I am my own worst critic.
My mom asked me if I had any baby quilt that she could have for a baby shower gift for Marty’s daughter. She is have a baby boy. I told her I was sure I could come up with a top that was already finished. I found the red white and blue bow tie top that was waiting to be finished. I finished it yesterday. I hope she likes it.
Saturday Tyler made peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. They were so good. Tim told him to make a special cookie for me. Here is what I got.
Aren’t they sweet?
Last week when it was very cold one night the dogs water froze over outside. When I emptied it out into the sink this is what was left. I thought I made for a great picture.
Andrew is feeling better. Thank you to everyone for the well wishes. He has been fever free for two days and is almost back to his old self. He is playing and crawling around. He is still wheezy and coughing but the doctor said that will last 2 to 3 weeks.
Yesterday while Andrew took a nap I was able to make some Halloween fabric postcards to mail out for this month.
This one shows some free motion quilting I did to give it a little more pizazz.
This bat I ironed on. It looked a little blah so I decided to try a little free motion quilting on it too. I like the craziness of the outline on the bat. I still have to finish the edges on all of these with a satin stitch.