I used the Moda Nautical and Nice charm pack to make the above quilt. I didn’t use many of the light colored charms. I like how the squares float off of the blue fabric. To me it resembles square life preservers.
I free motion quilted the baby quilt with a wave pattern using a cream colored thread from Ken’s Sewing Center. The fabric on the back is a Noah’s Ark print that I got a ton of years ago at a thrift store. I think I may have enough left for one more baby quilt back.
I saw this and had to share it. It is a great free quilt pattern for beginners. Makes me want to get out my machine and sew. It is called Granny Square Quilt Block Tutorial by Jolene Klassen. You can also visit her blog (Blue Elephant Stitches) for the quilt pattern.
Brandy brought Joshua home this morning and mentioned that she wanted me to show her how to make some pot holders when I had time. I told her to look through my stash and see if there was anything she liked. A few hours later, Voila! 8 roundish pot holders.
I showed her how to trace the trivet onto the material and batting. Then cut them out and how to layer them. Then she braved the sewing machine. She did a great job for someone who doesn’t own a machine or sew. (The color of the fabric is a little washed out from the sun. I thought it would be fun to take them outside on top of the mound of leaves I raked the other day.) The fabrics are fall colors. The flowers are highlighted with gold but you can’t see it in this picture.
I recently had an email in my inbox from a lovely lady who wanted to know the name of the pattern for this quilt.
It is called a Double Irish Chain. I originally made it for my mother in a queen size. She bought a bigger bed and it didn’t fit so she sent it to my brother. I hope he is keeping warm under this beauty.
So I attempted to make another doll. This time I made the pattern bigger and gave her some funky pink hair and a heart shaped face. She also has a pretty purple butterfly on her tummy. Joshua asked me what I named her. I told him she didn’t have a name yet and asked him what we should name her. He said to name her Holly. So Holly it is.
I have been seeing these cute little dolls around the internet. So I found some instructions on how to make them. This is the first one I have made. It is okay. I am not thrilled with it. I think I am going to like it more if she has hair.I did not have time last night to embellish her a lot either. I think these will make great Christmas gifts or gifts for people who have been sick. You never know I may send one to a Fat Quarter winner.
He is the website of the lady who started the Dotee Doll. Her name is Dot. She makes beautiful dolls.
Here is a video of instructions on how to make one if you are interested. They are on another ladies blog called Smiles and Sunshine.
I came across some 1930′s material I had bought while going through my stash. I bought a half of a yard of it knowing I would use it some day. This is another material that speaks to the kid in me. I used some of it to make a friendship star block for a swap the other day and thought this would be cute for a baby quilt. So I left it out so that I would remind myself to use it. I recently got my Quiltmakers magazine in the mail. It was sitting on the coffee table so I flipped through it. On the back page I came across a picture of a quilt that jumped out at me. The pattern was called Take 5. The colors were the same as what I wanted to use for my baby quilt. I thoroughly examined the quilt and figured out how to make one of the blocks. I immediately went to my stash and started digging for fabrics to go with the 30′s material. The colors in the material are yellow, a sage green, red, and a little black.
Of course not having the actually size of the blocks I just made up my own. I used 4 1/2 inch squares, 2 1/2 inch squares, and a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangle. The finished blocks came out to 6 1/2 inches. Once I had 20 blocks made I laid them out on the kitchen table trying to decide on how to sew them together. After a few minutes I came up with the now finished product. I added a 2 1/2 inch border of the red print. The top measures 28 x 34 inches.
Here is a close up of the 30′s material and other prints I had to go with it.
Here is a picture of it in black and white. I was playing around with the settings on the camera.
Here is a picture of a top I put together today. The blocks are from a swap on 3 Sisters Cyber Quilting from 2007. It was called the Amish Block of the Month. I decided that I wanted to have a fancy/ interesting border. So I decided to use the pioneer braid from Quiltville. Thanks to Bonnie and all her hard work. I was intimidated by it but thought I would give it a try and see how it went. It was easier than I thought it would be. I have some left over pieces that I am going to use with some other material to make a baby quilt.